OptiEMAT® testing devices
EMAT: What kind of technology is it?, Features and advantages
What is an EMAT?
A magnet, a wire, an air gap and a metallic surface.
Features and advantages of an EMAT inspection
EMAT combines all the advantages of the normal UT with other special advantages.
Ultrasound is generated in the component to be examined.
1. Dry inspection - no coupling medium
- easy automation and integration into production
- no coupling agent-induced errors
- high inspection speeds (about 60 m / s)
- can be used at high and low temperatures
2. Insensitive to the surface condition
- Inspections on rough, dirty (greasy / wet), oxidized or uneven surfaces possible
3. Easy use of the sensors
- no signal changes when replacing the sensors
- small changes in the insonification angle do not affect the results (for example partial curvature)
4. Unique wave types
- Generation of horizontally polarized shear waves
- highly efficient, guided waves